• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dba

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dirtman1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I have a question regarding DBAs....

If I reside in Washington and will do some work in California, but I would like to get the compensation through a DBA, should I file for DBA in Washington or California?

The next question is, should I make quarterly tax payment or do I pay the taxes at year's end as a lump sum?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Depends what you mean by work. You'll need a DBA (they call it Trade Name Registration) there. If you have a physical presence in California, you'll need to register in the county there (they call it a fictitious name statement).

You need to be paying your estimated (income) tax quarterly. If you're subject to sales or other local taxes, you may need to be paying them even more frequently (monthly).

You probably should seek out some small business assistance (or a book, try a bookstore or library) because these and more issues are pretty basic.

Dirtman1

Thanks Ron.

The 'work' is actually as a consultant - construction management. No sales involve as it's completely service.

So if I understood this correctly, I should file for a DBA in the California county I will doing work in, correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">