• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's death and family distrust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jpaq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My mother died recently and I just found out that actions were taken in her last days to cut me out of any inheritance.

This much I do know;

-She gave her sister (my aunt) power of attorney
-She was under the influence of heavy narcotics in her last days due to extreme pain
-In her last days, my aunt drafted something up and had my mother initial the documents (they will not tell me what these documents are called or where they are now)
-I was told that my name was removed as beneficiary of her life insurance policy, retirement plan, and her will (?)

What I don't know;

-If she actually had a living will or trust at all, nobody is telling me anything

Truth be told, I obviously had a strained relationship with her and her siblings, I have reason to believe that her siblings somehow conspired to put the screws to me before she died.

Can I check with the county courthouse to see if anything was filed? How should I proceed with this mess?

Many thanks in advance

Dandy Don

Yes, checking at the courthouse would be the first place to start checking, but normally the will is not filed until at least 30-60 days after the death has occurred. An immediate consultation with a family law attorney can advise you whether your state has laws on the books regarding abuse of power of attorney (which seems to be what may have occurred here), and you can take steps to reverse whatever improper/illegal actions the POA has done to change beneficiary designations, and after that you can talk to a probate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">