• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

breve

my partner and her previous partner purchased the home we currently live in together. Fianacially they were not able to get out of the mortgage so the home has remained in both of their names. Her previous partner agreed to leave the house as we were able to pay the mortgage and she was not. Now my partner is having mental issues and has temporarily moved out of the home to live with her mother and seek treatment. She says she wants me to stay in the house and take care of the house and our puppies.
I am concerned that her previous partner will come to the house and demand I leave since i have no legal ownership in the house.
Is there any paperwork or anything to file so that I can remain in the house until my partner gets better and returns home? I have been paying the mortgage for the last year and a half and plan on continuing to do that. What are my options?

Mass_Shyster

my partner and her previous partner purchased the home we currently live in together. Fianacially they were not able to get out of the mortgage so the home has remained in both of their names. Her previous partner agreed to leave the house as we were able to pay the mortgage and she was not. Now my partner is having mental issues and has temporarily moved out of the home to live with her mother and seek treatment. She says she wants me to stay in the house and take care of the house and our puppies.
I am concerned that her previous partner will come to the house and demand I leave since i have no legal ownership in the house.
Is there any paperwork or anything to file so that I can remain in the house until my partner gets better and returns home? I have been paying the mortgage for the last year and a half and plan on continuing to do that. What are my options?
Legally, it seems that you are a tenant, and your partner is your landlord.
You may be able to execute a lease, preventing her cotenant (other owner) from evicting you.

Banned_Princess

You are at least a tenant of your partner, and are awarded the rights and responsibilities as such. keep paying the mortgage, in some sort of provable way (think checks from your bank account. )

Wait, grr, i hate that.

WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN? US LAW ONLY. DON'T IGNORE OUR ONLY REQUIREMENT OF POSTING.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">