• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advertising a Purchased Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmmt99

About 15 months ago, I purchased a home from a builder (spec. home). Overall, the quality of his work and follow-up were quite poor. In fact, he has not completed the escrow work or warranty work. This past weekend, I was at a trade show, and the builder had an exhibit. The exhibit featured a number of photos taken of my house. I was quite surprised to see these photos which clearly he had taken in the past week. Is this legal without my permission? Thank you for your advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
About 15 months ago, I purchased a home from a builder (spec. home). Overall, the quality of his work and follow-up were quite poor. In fact, he has not completed the escrow work or warranty work. This past weekend, I was at a trade show, and the builder had an exhibit. The exhibit featured a number of photos taken of my house. I was quite surprised to see these photos which clearly he had taken in the past week. Is this legal without my permission? Thank you for your advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
US Law Only -

But, in the US, if the pictures were taken from a public vantage point and were only of the outside of your house, it's not a problem.

gmmt99

Wow...I'm surprised that someone can take a picture of my home and then use that as marketing for his business. It seems a bit scarry to me that we allow this in our great country.

US Law Only -

But, in the US, if the pictures were taken from a public vantage point and were only of the outside of your house, it's not a problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wow...I'm surprised that someone can take a picture of my home and then use that as marketing for his business. It seems a bit scarry to me that we allow this in our great country.
If you don't like it, build a tall fence around your house :rolleyes: It's called FREEDOM.

latigo

Had your wickyup been featured in House Beautiful or Better Homes and Gardens, you’d be strutting around town and crowing like a New Hampshire Red and be ordering bumper stickers.

So quit acting offended. It’s inconsequential, petty and terribly boring.

nextwife

Why is it illegal? Property appraisers take comp photos all the time. He DID build the house. He's not advertising it to SELL it, is he?

I could go on Google Streets if I had the address and see a photo of the front right now at my desk.

Last edited:

gmmt99

Thank you

Thank you all for your responses to my question. I have contacted my attorney who does believe the action is illegal. While the builder is not trying to sell my home, he is trying to sell others to buy a similar home from him. In addition, the photos used include ALL of the upgrades that I have had done as the house needed some significant outside work from staining, extensive landscaping, yard clean-up, gutters, etc. I don't think it is right that one attempts to sell something that is rightfully not what he produced.

HomeGuru

Thank you all for your responses to my question. I have contacted my attorney who does believe the action is illegal. While the builder is not trying to sell my home, he is trying to sell others to buy a similar home from him. In addition, the photos used include ALL of the upgrades that I have had done as the house needed some significant outside work from staining, extensive landscaping, yard clean-up, gutters, etc. I don't think it is right that one attempts to sell something that is rightfully not what he produced.
**A: ok then let your attorney handle things. By the way, let us know what you win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">