• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Sale Money Distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

relics

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

I have an individual that owes money to me from an unpaid debt. This individual claims that he is sending me a letter confirming that his debt will be paid upon sale of his home. He claims that when his house sells, the funds from the house sale will go directly to his real estate agent's lawyer, who will then distribute the funds to pay off his debts (including to me) before the seller is paid any money. I have not been in this situation before, but is this a common practice and will the real estate agent's lawyer in fact be able to distribute the money in this way? If so, what do I need to do to guarantee that this happens?

Thank you.

relics

Unfortunately no. All I have is a letter from him stating that his debt to me would be paid in full from the sale of his house. He is in Canada so I don't know if that makes a difference. I know nothing about law and legal issues so I'm not certain how I would go about filing a lein on his property since he is in Canada. Also, I was hoping that it is true that his real estate agent's lawyer could divide out the funds without having to file a lein but I'm not certain. ANy suggestions on where I need to go from here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Unfortunately no. All I have is a letter from him stating that his debt to me would be paid in full from the sale of his house. He is in Canada so I don't know if that makes a difference. I know nothing about law and legal issues so I'm not certain how I would go about filing a lein on his property since he is in Canada. Also, I was hoping that it is true that his real estate agent's lawyer could divide out the funds without having to file a lein but I'm not certain. ANy suggestions on where I need to go from here?
This forum is for US Law Only.

In the US, I'd have to say it sounds like you have a piece of paper with no value what-so-ever.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

I have an individual that owes money to me from an unpaid debt. This individual claims that he is sending me a letter confirming that his debt will be paid upon sale of his home. He claims that when his house sells, the funds from the house sale will go directly to his real estate agent's lawyer, who will then distribute the funds to pay off his debts (including to me) before the seller is paid any money. I have not been in this situation before, but is this a common practice and will the real estate agent's lawyer in fact be able to distribute the money in this way? If so, what do I need to do to guarantee that this happens?

Thank you.
**A: not this is not common practice. What you need is a judgement lien on the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">