• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recent Death of Grandparent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taoman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Recently, my grandfather passed away. My mother had power of attorney over him for the last 9 years while he was residing in a nursing home. Yesterday, a collection agency called her at work claiming that they represent a doctor's office that had an outstanding bill from over 10 years ago that hadn't been paid. The claim sounded bogus to me. What should she do? Just pay the amount ($400+)? Isn't there a time limit on an outstanding balance? Should she ask for some sort of proof of the outstanding bill to be provided?

Thank you,
Dwight

anteater

Your mother's power of attorney ended when your grandfather passed away. Legally, she does not have authority to deal with the matter anyway.

Did grandfather have any assets? Will probate be opened for his estate?

taoman

To my knowledge he didn't have anything that would qualify as having an estate. No car, home, or money. My mother maintained a small checking account for his needs in the nursing home, but it never had more than $100 in it at any given time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">