• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i need to probate or is there an easier way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmans

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in california

1) I just found out that my mom (she was a french citizen) has a checking account in Miami and has a total of something like 90,000 US in there. Unfortunately there is no will. Now the signatory on the account is a friend of my moms who would like to just close the account and send me a check for the balance. I understand that California does not probate under 100,000 but I'm not sure in terms of Florida. Of course staying out of probate would be the best case but I do need to know the repercussions to this if there are any.In this scenario , what is the best way to proceed?

Dandy Don

Why do you think that staying out of probate is the best thing? Probate is the only solution here. If there are any outstanding bills, then they will be paid and you get what is left over.

emmans

Why do you think that staying out of probate is the best thing? Probate is the only solution here. If there are any outstanding bills, then they will be paid and you get what is left over.
it is the best thing because she hasn't lived there for 20 + years. There are no bills to pay and there is no point in going through probate and paying lawyer and fees when theres no need to. I'm just wondering if I her signator writes me a check fopr whats left in her account would that be ok?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">