• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who owns what

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimw1341

What is the name of your state tennessee
my wife and I are going through a divorce. we are trying to keep it as peaceful as possible. and so far between the two of us we are being successful. now, the problem. several years ago my mother in law built on to my house and moved in. when my wife and I separated I took the side that my mother in law built on and her mother and her moved to the main part of the house. my mother in law is trying to say that she owns the part of the house that she built on. the mortgage and deed are in my name alone. does she have any claim. we live in Tennessee

FlyingRon

That's not a real estate question, but divorce property distribution question.
As far as the RE issues are concerned, you own the whole thing. Now the divorce may consider this marital property and force an equitable distribution which may count mom's contribution into it, but that's an issue between you and your wife. Mom has no rights to anything, if your wife wants to giver her something out of what becomes her share, that's up to her.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state tennessee
my wife and I are going through a divorce. we are trying to keep it as peaceful as possible. and so far between the two of us we are being successful. now, the problem. several years ago my mother in law built on to my house and moved in. when my wife and I separated I took the side that my mother in law built on and her mother and her moved to the main part of the house. my mother in law is trying to say that she owns the part of the house that she built on. the mortgage and deed are in my name alone. does she have any claim. we live in Tennessee
**A: she may have a claim of property equity depending upon the agreement and circumstances. This is a separate claim from the divorce claim.

FlyingRon

Absent a written agreement, the fact that she paid for or made improvements to the property does NOT instill any ownership interest on her part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">