• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to name my business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thaoimage

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

I'm trying to name my business... but there is a company with a name that is similar to mines... however, the services and product they provide is completely different from my company... different market, different purposes... different as night and day, Am I safe?

Last edited:

justalayman

safe from what?

losing a suit? maybe/probably based only on what you have provided

getting sued? Only those that might initiate a suit can answer that.

HomeGuru

I'm trying to name my business... but there is a company with a name that is similar to mines... however, the services and product they provide is completely different from my company... different market, different purposes... different as night and day, Am I safe?
**A: you are currently safe. But when you register the name and start using it, you may not be.

bluesmap

when you go to file your articles of incorporation you probably will not be allowed to use that name if the company is in the same state as you.

you should really check the USPTO database for trademark registrations too
United States Patent and Trademark Office

i cant answer your question as to whether you are safe but in my opinion you should find a unique name. just my opinion

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">