• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Viewing Apartment Requirement Laws in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZMED5678

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm searching for an apartment in the Bronx, NY.

Are brokers and leasing offices allowed by law to require running one's credit to simply view an apartment? I understand the reason for this request; however, having to have one's credit searched every time a person wants to just view an apartment IS detrimental to ones overall credit.

ALSO-

Once applying for an apartment, is it LEGAL for the broker or leasing agent to request one's personal bank statements. Again, I understand why this is done; however, my question on both maters is: IS IT LEGAL?

Best,
Zaida Medina

You Are Guilty

They can certainly request it, just as surely as you can decline their request. Of course, a problem arises because there is no law that says they have to do business with you at all, so if you don't want to do so on their terms, you'll probably have to find someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">