• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can one party of a joint ownership of a property bar another from it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amanda.johnson1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

my fiancee and i may be splitting up here soon. we are co owners of a house that is still being paid for. He makes the house payments and i pay all the utilities. He says because he makes the house payments that he can kick me out and bar me from entering the home, or living in the home. is there any truth to this? It does not seem right because we both own the house and are on the loan for it as co-buyers.

Also if he can bar me does it relive my obligation to the home, IE if he does not make payments can they still come after me for them?

I know he can not sell the house without my ok, but if he was not living in the house can he say i cant as well or can he rent it without giving me any part of the rent he collects?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Also he put in a new heating and air system a few months after we moved in. Would he get the $ for it beck before we would split any profits form the home? And if there is no profit but we take a loss on the home we would have to split what we owed right?

Last edited:

tranquility

All the owners have a right of possession.

All on the loan have a duty to pay.

All owners have a right to share in the "profits" (whatever that means) from property rental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">