• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHORT1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have lived in my house with my husband for over 10 years. Although the deed has always been in my in-laws names, (I'm #4 wife) I never thought anything about it. Until my husband died suddenly. They are trying to force me to move? Can they do this? They are saying I owe them rent, even though my husband and I never paid any sort of "rent". I'd always understood it to be my husband's property, as he told me that the house was his, he just kept it in his parent's names to protect him. What can I do?

nextwife

It was not his if not titled to him.

You cannot claim any marital property rights to someone else's house. Hopefully you had purchased some life insurance on him, and can take that money to buy yourself a home.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have lived in my house with my husband for over 10 years. Although the deed has always been in my in-laws names, (I'm #4 wife) I never thought anything about it. Until my husband died suddenly. They are trying to force me to move? Can they do this? They are saying I owe them rent, even though my husband and I never paid any sort of "rent". I'd always understood it to be my husband's property, as he told me that the house was his, he just kept it in his parent's names to protect him. What can I do?
**A: you have no rights to the property since the property was never yours or your husband's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">