• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ADELINA1201

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I BOUGHT HOME 2 YEARS AGO WITH BF...DUE TO DOMESTIC ISSUES A RESTRAINING ORDER WAS GRANTED TO ME ... AND BF ASKED TO LEAVE.... I AM THE ONLY ONE ON MORTGAGE BUT HIS NAME IS STILL ON TITLE AND DEED TO HOME.... I ATTEMPTED TO REFINANCE BUT WAS UNABLE TO AS I NEEDED A QUIT CLAIM DEED.... IS THERE ANY WAY TO HAVE HIS NAME REMOVED FROM TITLE AND DEED.... DUE TO THE DOMESTIC ISSUE I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO... ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED....

FlyingRon

Please do not type in all caps. It's hard to read and makes it look like you're shouting.

I presume you (or better yet your lawyer) has asked him to sign a quit claim deed. Frankly, I don't know how it happened, but you took out a loan you are 100% responsible for on a house that is only half yours. He has little incentive to give up his half especially if there is some sort of mutual hostility going on.

DAD10

Foolish

If BF does not quitclaim, sounds like you were not thinking clearly about your finances. You make no mention of children together-you can always sell the property. That could end the situation....:rolleyes:

latigo

you can always sell the property
Come on DAD!

Why would you mislead the girl so knowing full well that you know nothing whatsoever about the laws relating to estates in cotenancy?!

Sure, she can SELL her equal undivided ownership in the home. BUT SHE CANNOT sell her estranged boyfriend’s interest any more than she could sell John Roebling’s bridge over the East River.

She owns neither the Brooklyn Bridge nor her boyfriend’s equal undivided ownership in the home!

Just as thousand of these sleep-over lovebirds have foolishly done - and will continue to do - she made one huge shortsighted mistake in taking title to the home in cotenancy/joint ownership.

Now she is suffering for that mistake and because they are not intermarried she has no recourse to the courts to ask that his interest be set over to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">