• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

211victoria

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I loaned my daughter-in-law and her husband a substantial amount of money as a downpayment on their house three years ago. Is there a way to put a lien or some other mechanism to protect the money in case they should lose the house to foreclosure?

nextwife

How did you "secure" the loan at the time? If there is a foreclosure, having a lien now will likely NOT protect you unless there is sufficient equity. Most jr. lienholders lose out in FC unless they buy out the first and can sell for enough to recover all or part of theirs, too.

JETX

I loaned my daughter-in-law and her husband a substantial amount of money as a downpayment on their house three years ago. Is there a way to put a lien
Yes, you can file a lawsuit, get a judgment then place a judgment lien on the property.

or some other mechanism to protect the money in case they should lose the house to foreclosure?
No. Even a judgment lien is secondary to a mortgage lien (foreclosure).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">