• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel room burglarized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notthatbright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Thank you to all of you who donate your time to help us all.

In short my hotel room was burglarized within a couple hours of checking in for about $1600 worth of cash and electronics. The Reort is a water park too, so we checked in at 12 with our suits on and my kids were so wound up we just dropped our stuff in the room and went downstairs to the pool. The hotel is equipped with a safe, I couldnt immediately find it so I put my extra cash in a drawer, my watch on the dresser, my sons Nintendo DS and games and case, my wifes purse, our digital camera, all on the floor in our bags. The hotel issues wristbands to the waterpark which also act as the room key, you press your band against the door pad and the door unlocks. They ran a history on the entry and said that there were no entrys to the room except for ours (wristband 1 and 2). There was a another room burglary the same day about the same time according the police that responded, they were already on site at the other room. Our room was fingerprinted and we went to the station to submit all of our fingerprints.
I know the hotel posts notices all over that they are not responsible for lost or stolen property -I saw those notices.
My question is this;
Because they post these notices does it make them true?
I do not have homeowners or renters insurance to make a claim against.
Do I have any recourse?
The officer suggested it was likely an employee of the property, I dont know why exactly, but it was something to do with the electronic entry log not showing any other door openings. If I could make that connection would it help? Would the Hotel be liable if they hired ex felons with backgrounds in burglary to clean guest rooms? I dont know how I could prove that unless I could investigate their hiring practices, and then backrounds of all their employees, but how far would I go to recover a $1600 loss?
I have read previous threads and I know some of the members really enjoy taking these opportunities to blast people about how stupid people are and going back and pointing out every mistake along the way, but I am posting anyway becasue I am hoping that someone can give me a tip or angle I can use to push the hotel into covering some of the loss.

The room was equipped with a safe which I couldnt find intially I didnt look real hard though. Turns out it was in the bottom drawer of one of the dressers. That would have saved the cash and the watch and the camera if I had used it, but the purse and DS would not have fit anyway. Thank you for your help

Banned_Princess

In short my hotel room was burglarized within a couple hours of checking in for about $1600 worth of cash and electronics. The Reort is a water park too, so we checked in at 12 with our suits on and my kids were so wound up we just dropped our stuff in the room and went downstairs to the pool.

The hotel is equipped with a safe, I couldnt immediately find it so I put my extra cash in a drawer, my watch on the dresser, my sons Nintendo DS and games and case, my wifes purse, our digital camera, all on the floor in our bags. The hotel issues wristbands to the waterpark which also act as the room key, you press your band against the door pad and the door unlocks.

They ran a history on the entry and said that there were no entrys to the room except for ours (wristband 1 and 2). There was a another room burglary the same day about the same time according the police that responded, they were already on site at the other room. Our room was fingerprinted and we went to the station to submit all of our fingerprints.

I know the hotel posts notices all over that they are not responsible for lost or stolen property -I saw those notices.
My question is this;
Mostly true. In your story, yes.

Do I have any recourse?
Not if you don't have homeowners insurance, with the specific coverage for "off premises theft"

The officer suggested it was likely an employee of the property, I dont know why exactly, but it was something to do with the electronic entry log not showing any other door openings. If I could make that connection would it help?
You mean if you can prove it. How do you plan to do that sir?

Would the Hotel be liable if they hired ex felons with backgrounds in burglary to clean guest rooms?
No. the liable person would be the person who stole your stuff.

I dont know how I could prove that unless I could investigate their hiring practices, and then backrounds of all their employees, but how far would I go to recover a $1600 loss?
Thats a negative. You are out 1600.00

I have read previous threads and I know some of the members really enjoy taking these opportunities to blast people about how stupid people are and going back and pointing out every mistake along the way, but I am posting anyway becasue I am hoping that someone can give me a tip or angle I can use to push the hotel into covering some of the loss.
It would be up to the hotel what they want to do. Maybe you can ask your room be free of charge due to the inconvenience.

The room was equipped with a safe which I couldnt find intially I didnt look real hard though. Turns out it was in the bottom drawer of one of the dressers. That would have saved the cash and the watch and the camera if I had used it, but the purse and DS would not have fit anyway. Thank you for your help
If you would have taken a second to secure your belongings you would not be in this predicament. I am sorry about your stuff.

Antigone*

In short my hotel room was burglarized within a couple hours of checking in for about $1600 worth of cash and electronics. The Reort is a water park too, so we checked in at 12 with our suits on and my kids were so wound up we just dropped our stuff in the room and went downstairs to the pool. The hotel is equipped with a safe, I couldnt immediately find it so I put my extra cash in a drawer, my watch on the dresser, my sons Nintendo DS and games and case, my wifes purse, our digital camera, all on the floor in our bags. The hotel issues wristbands to the waterpark which also act as the room key, you press your band against the door pad and the door unlocks. They ran a history on the entry and said that there were no entrys to the room except for ours (wristband 1 and 2). There was a another room burglary the same day about the same time according the police that responded, they were already on site at the other room. Our room was fingerprinted and we went to the station to submit all of our fingerprints.
My question is this;
Do I have any recourse?
The officer suggested it was likely an employee of the property, I dont know why exactly, but it was something to do with the electronic entry log not showing any other door openings. If I could make that connection would it help? Would the Hotel be liable if they hired ex felons with backgrounds in burglary to clean guest rooms? I dont know how I could prove that unless I could investigate their hiring practices, and then backrounds of all their employees, but how far would I go to recover a $1600 loss?

The hotel gave you the tools and resouces necessary to protect your items. You do have recourse against the perp when/if he is ever found.

~ No bashing intended

notthatbright

Thank you

As I stated in my post, I really appreciate that some of you take the time to help people without compensation. Thank you for your responses.

Right now I am just being pleasant and respectful in asking for some type of reimbursement. I had hoped to get an angle to use with hotel GM that had some teeth. It sounds like my only recourse is to make my problem public on the hotel review websites.

To the few of you who take the opportunity to use sarcasm to prove how witty you are- its a mistake. Although making people feel stupid may make you feel good and really smart, it does your profession no favors. Everyone who asks a question here is a potential client.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As I stated in my post, I really appreciate that some of you take the time to help people without compensation. Thank you for your responses.

Right now I am just being pleasant and respectful in asking for some type of reimbursement. I had hoped to get an angle to use with hotel GM that had some teeth. It sounds like my only recourse is to make my problem public on the hotel review websites.

To the few of you who take the opportunity to use sarcasm to prove how witty you are- its a mistake. Although making people feel stupid may make you feel good and really smart, it does your profession no favors. Everyone who asks a question here is a potential client.
1) There was no sarcasm
2) Potential client?

IMPORTANT NOTICE
THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS PAGE WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM. Thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed questions and answers in 130 legal categories are to be found at the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com.
FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting or the qualifications of any person responding. Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

notthatbright

No, there was no sarcasm in my responses, I didnt mean this instance,sorry. I have been reading the threads throughout the site for quite some time, before registering. Many of the professional responses are dripping with sarcasm and thats what I was referring to.

By clients I mean anyone asking a question here will likely seek an attorney for some reason throughout their lives and I assume most of you that give advice are attorneys. Believe it or not attorneys dont have the best reputation, so I suspect many people choose not to seek attorney advice, officially, because of that perception. This forum gives an opportunity to dispell that stereotype if the advice given comes in a constructive form as my responders offered. Just my opinion.

Zigner

No, there was no sarcasm in my responses, I didnt mean this instance,sorry. I have been reading the threads throughout the site for quite some time, before registering. Many of the professional responses are dripping with sarcasm and thats what I was referring to.

By clients I mean anyone asking a question here will likely seek an attorney for some reason throughout their lives and I assume most of you that give advice are attorneys. Believe it or not attorneys dont have the best reputation, so I suspect many people choose not to seek attorney advice, officially, because of that perception. This forum gives an opportunity to dispell that stereotype if the advice given comes in a constructive form as my responders offered. Just my opinion.
Why do you think most people here are attorneys?

notthatbright

good one, senior member zigner. Proving my point about making yourself feel better by shooting out one liners yet providing no real value or substance. Did you make yourself giggle with that one, go back to facebook.

Antigone*

good one, senior member zigner. Proving my point about making yourself feel better by shooting out one liners yet providing no real value or substance. Did you make yourself giggle with that one, go back to facebook.
He made me giggle:p. Apparently since you are notthatbright, I'll have to assume that you did not read the Terms Of Service when you signed up to use our website.

I bet dollars to donuts that this is the one time I can A$$UME and not make one of myself:D

notthatbright

No I didnt read the terms of service, I just asked a question. Keep pumping yourself up making fun of and picking on others its very productive, look where it has gotten you.

Zigner

No I didnt read the terms of service, I just asked a question. Keep pumping yourself up making fun of and picking on others its very productive, look where it has gotten you.
You sure seem to ignore the printed word quite often...that is why you have no case against the hotel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">