• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help re guru!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newkid2010

Hey All ,

I'm new so excuse the newb question.

The wife and I have a house that is abandoned next to our home. Wifes name is only one on title of our home. This abandon home is mortgage free and all taxes are paid up. No one has lived there in over 4 years. The owner has been contacted numerous time by county for look of her yard and condition of home.

Here is my question - Is there a way i could find a way to take ownership of this house? I've been taking care of lawn for 4 years and since no mortgage on it i assume i might be able to? A friend told me i could open a phone line with phone co , register with post office and pay on that phone bill for 30 days. Then walk into county recorder pay the fee to have me added onto title.. Does that sound like hoggwash or is that possible???

Or am i able to claim adverse possession once this year is up and i hit the 5 year mark ? And how would i go about doing that since i don't live on that property but i have been mowing the lawn etc

Edit _ sorry the property is in CA

any help is still help

thanks

Last edited:

justalayman

well,since you refused to name the state involved, nobody can really answer your questions but there are two things in your post I can answer:

Is there a way i could find a way to take ownership of this house?
absolutely. It is called "buying a home"

Then walk into county recorder pay the fee to have me added onto title.. Does that sound like hoggwash or is that possible???
absolute hogwash. first, the idea itself is ridiculous and for your friend: the county recorder does not add people nor remove people from the title of property. They record deeds.

newkid2010

i've updated the state sorry about that, i didn't think my friends scenario was right but i've been reading alot about adverse possession so i wasn't clear on if i could literally just file to be added to deed etc to try to claim the property or if i had to pay taxes on it etc etc

FlyingRon

It is hogwash, open, notorious, and hostile possession for decades is required. A few years of utility service or lawn mowing isn't going to qualify. Even if you had adversely possessed, you would need to sue the owner for the transfer.

Have you actually tried researching who the owner is?

newkid2010

I've gotten the owners info from the county, the county themselves have tried to contact her about the condition of the home and even had a hearing about it to which the owner never shown. So Today I'm writing her to eiter see if she would be willing to sell or grant me use of the home and rent it to a friend so that the taxes and condition of home are taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">