• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good people make bad choices

• Thread starter driverwithoutluck
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

driverwithoutluck

I am a 40 yr old male, have been driving a truck, hauling cattle for 11 years. In my younger years I did experiment with a variety of drugs. In the last 20 years I have not used any illegal drugs, I even quite smoking. A couple of months back a buddy came by and offered some meth, for various reasons I accepted (you know the story about your life falling apart, divorce and all that that implies) I wasn't driving that night, I took the stuff and went out for a little while with some friends, went home and got some sleep, then got up the next morning to haul a load. While hauling this load I was in a minor accident with another truck, no injuries. No police were called, no report made, but state law requires all employers to do drug testing after a accident. Well, needless to say, the drug testing was positive. I was fired. My question is since there was no police report, no charges and no record besides the lab report that was sent to that employer, will this affect my CDL? Is this confidential to the point that my previous employer can not release it to any current employers? Will any prospective empoyers be able to get this information?

L

lawrat

Well, when problems rain, they pour. So, yes you can get fired and this may show up in background checks. But you can try to minimize the damage: only allow your former employer to give your title, your years of employment and salary. Let them know you do not give consent to have them say the reasons behind your firing. GET IT IN WRITING.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">