• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor modified Irrigation w/o notifying me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RanchLady

What is the name of your state (Oregon)?

My neigbor and I both live on 10 acres and we both irrigate out of our shared pond via a 5 " main line with hand line verticals. We share a main line that runs east and west on the property line.

up until this week we both used main lines to irrigate our pastures.
We have a 90 hp pump. We can only use (28) 7/64- sprinkler heads at any given time, other wise we don't have adequet pressure to turn the sprinkler heads. I.E we each have 2 lines running, each line has 7 sprinkler heads.

My problem: He will turn on his yard , his garden and additional line and tak all my pressure away. I have to call and ask him to turn stuff off. I have written letters given him diagrams to no avail. Now he has hired a land scape firm to put all his sprinklers in his back 5 acres under ground and has unilaterally altered the main line to do so.

My question: If this impairs my abillity to irrigate would I go to my homeowners to make a claim as a damage to my personal property? My thinking is that if I made a claim the insurance, thier lawyers would go after him instead of me putting out the funds to sue him.

I am so frustrated with him He moved in there 4 years ago from the city and has no consideration. We are joined at the hip on the well and on the irrigation system

Thanks, CLee

HuAi

Do you have any sort of written agremeent between you or past owners of the property as to how the line was installed, how it's to be shared, maintenace, etc?

RanchLady

We have a well agreement, I'll have to go to the county or irrigation Co, to check it out. It has been implied be cause we share the Electric, IE I pay half the power and any parts that are needed for the pump or pipe repairs...

I just wrote him a note and asked him to advise us of his intent, now that he modified the system and how is this going to effect us. I'll wait to hear from him at this point.

Last edited:

xylene

Stop being a push over.

Get a lawyer. Your homeowners is not likely to take care of this.

You neighbor is STEALING from you.

Either he realizes this and doesn't care

or

He doesn't know that his irrigation changes amount to robbing you of your water.

Either way a note is not going to 'educate' him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">