• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FedupwithCA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in an apartment complex in Southern California. Since we moved in (October 2009) we have had nothing but problems!! We live in an upstairs unit and private balcony is in the front corner of the apartment, and is also the front door to another apartment. Every time our neighbors walk up the stairs into their unit, they keep staring into our apartment. We have told the landlord, who is just lazy, doesn't care or want to get involved. But it has made living here uncomfortable and I always feel like im being watched while sitting here watching TV in my own livingroom. I dont feel like I need to close my windows, or buy curtains just so my nosy neighbors cant look it. Im not about to live in a cave especially when I pay 1500 in rent per month. Is there any privacy laws in California I can either call the police and complain, or can I get my deposit back so I can move out of this hell hole.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in an apartment complex in Southern California. Since we moved in (October 2009) we have had nothing but problems!! We live in an upstairs unit and private balcony is in the front corner of the apartment, and is also the front door to another apartment. Every time our neighbors walk up the stairs into their unit, they keep staring into our apartment. We have told the landlord, who is just lazy, doesn't care or want to get involved. But it has made living here uncomfortable and I always feel like im being watched while sitting here watching TV in my own livingroom. I dont feel like I need to close my windows, or buy curtains just so my nosy neighbors cant look it. Im not about to live in a cave especially when I pay 1500 in rent per month. Is there any privacy laws in California I can either call the police and complain, or can I get my deposit back so I can move out of this hell hole.
does he stop on the staircase and stand there staring for hours at a time, or just glimpse while he is passing by?

FedupwithCA

its not really a glympse its a good 30+ second stare.. Its not like its an accidental glance, you actually have to make an effort to make eye contact with me on the couch

Isis1

its not really a glympse its a good 30+ second stare.. Its not like its an accidental glance, you actually have to make an effort to make eye contact with me on the couch
this isn't an invasion of privacy. he is not trespassing with sight.

swalsh411

I would buy some light curtains. They don't block much light but you can't see through them. I know you don't want to but they are pretty much a necessity for apartment complex's where people walk by your window.

FarmerJ

Window shades do come in clear reflective material (mirror finish) wich could even be used in combination with super thin sheer curtains the shade material to act like mirror to make it less easy to see in. Other nieghbor socially inapropriate to look in , YES BUT it is your choice to want clear view to outside. ( sort of like gawking on the freeway or highway) do what you can to reduce the gawking and consider asking for another unit when one is avail or completely relocating elsewhere with a different lay out when your lease is up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">