• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Ethics or law ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midwest_tech

Hey all,

I have a question and I am not sure if it falls into the business ethics or legal category.

I have been in my field of work for over 12 years and am at the point now that I am taking it on alone as a start up business. In fact, I have had a lot of very positive feed back from clients who wish to use my service now that I am up and going.

My question is this...

Being in the industry for this long, and working for my past employer, I have a fair amount of inside knowledge. I would be going into business in direct competition with my old employer and this is where it gets a little tricky for me.

I know the target market fairly well because I have worked with many of them personally while employed with my previous job. Knowing these clients are out there, and wanting to take a share of the market and be competitive, I can't see not perusing these clients. On the other hand, a lot of them are still clients of my past employer and while I am fairly certain I can win them over (mostly based on my inside knowledge of his operation and their current contract situations) I'm worried about any legal recourse that could result from such a targeted market grab.

Obviously, I would not use their current contract numbers as a know thing when pitching to these clients, but knowing these things, I'm certain that I could not objectively bid for these clients without doing so to my advantage.

any advice is welcome.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">