• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is tax payer id #?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Recently my former employer sent me a letter requesting a tax payer id # so that they could make payments on a judgement owed to me on money they owed me. There was a line for my social security # and a line for a tax payer id# . I have always only used a social security # for employment purposes. What do they mean?

Thanks,

B

buddy2bear

If you are an individual, your tax ID number is your social security number.

If you are a business, then you tax ID number is your federal EIN number, which usually starts with 52-something for federal and approximately 8 numbers for State.

They just want to make sure that the judgement payments are being "credited" to the right individual -- if you were a company, you might have been able to deduct them from income tax, depending on what they were for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">