• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors cats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have disrespectful neighbors who allow their cats to roam on my property and crap and pee all over. I've used different repellents and they are worthless. They know I don't like their animals using my lawn and decks for toilets but don't care anyway. Their kids also throw pop cans and garbage everywhere. I don't think any of the animals have been vaccinated and in this county it's the law that cats be registered and vaccinated. I was told by animal control to live trap them and call them for removal so I set the trap and had to run an errand and when I got back the trap had been sprung by their cat but they came on my property and released it by taking the back door off the trap and removing the ground anchor. Impossible for an animal to do this as it take me two hands to unclip the fail safe latch. I called the Sheriff an they said they would talk to them and to go ahead and try again. Didn't do any good as their cats were all over my property today again crapping. The law does very little in protecting my property rights and I don't want my 2 year old grandson in some cat crap that could be infested with disease. Any suggestions? What are my rights to shoot with bb gun etc?

csi7

Do you have a fenced in area or an area that can be contained to place your live trap? Our neighbor placed a live trap in a contained area and a camera. They had already posted the no trespassing signs.

libra58

Shoot the owner, not the cats..Just kiddin. I love cats, but even so I understand Your frustration with Your neighbors cats..please don't do anything that could harm the cats tho. I have had the same problem and found if I had the chance to soak them the with the garden hose they get highly insulted and don't return after a few hose downs. Also check with Your animal control to see if they have regulations for humane trapping.. our county does and if the reg's are not followed the trapper can have charges/fines against them, our reg's are no trapping @32 degrees or below, rain or inclimate weather, traps closed by 3pm on Fri., no trapping Sat & Sun. I know it's really annoying to have cats use Your property as their litterpan, but again, don't do anything that could harm the cats or You could end up in hot water for.

drewguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have disrespectful neighbors who allow their cats to roam on my property and crap and pee all over. I've used different repellents and they are worthless. They know I don't like their animals using my lawn and decks for toilets but don't care anyway. Their kids also throw pop cans and garbage everywhere. I don't think any of the animals have been vaccinated and in this county it's the law that cats be registered and vaccinated. I was told by animal control to live trap them and call them for removal so I set the trap and had to run an errand and when I got back the trap had been sprung by their cat but they came on my property and released it by taking the back door off the trap and removing the ground anchor. Impossible for an animal to do this as it take me two hands to unclip the fail safe latch. I called the Sheriff an they said they would talk to them and to go ahead and try again. Didn't do any good as their cats were all over my property today again crapping. The law does very little in protecting my property rights and I don't want my 2 year old grandson in some cat crap that could be infested with disease. Any suggestions? What are my rights to shoot with bb gun etc?
You seem to be doing what you can. I would bug the animal control officer some more. It really shouldn't be your responsibility to trap the cats. He should come by their house with a report of roaming, unlicensed cats. That's his job! Then he can issue a fine or corrective order. Trapping really is a lose/lose approach.

bender85

I've tried most all repellents and none of them work. This isn't just an occasional cat but four cats intentionally let out every day to crap in my yard.
I've put up with their illegal burning of toxic treated lumber etc.(reported and I have copd) their kids throwing their empty pop cans and candy wrappers in my yard and mysteriously had two rocks the size of softball thrown thru my windshield.
I'm going to hound the states attorney's office,health department and animal control until I get some answers. I also am going to be treating my lawn for insects and fertilizer so if they don't want their nuisances coming down sick they better keep them in their yard. Thru all the research there is nothing but trapping and removing that will keep them off my lawn.
Wish someone had an easy fix but my lawn is fairly large and sprinklers would be very questionable to work. I've already thrown a pitcher of water on two of them.

tranquility

I had a similar problem. Although it's designed for deer, there is a product which is a sprinkler which goes off when the motion sensor is activated. You hook up a hose and point it at the access or....download points, and bingo. Cats are OK smart. What's the joke? A cat who jumps on a hot stove once will never jump on a hot stove again--nor a cold one.

justalayman

I had a similar problem. Although it's designed for deer, there is a product which is a sprinkler which goes off when the motion sensor is activated..
that is , or similar to, what I linked previously. OP dismissed the idea as well as any other idea regardless of trying them or not.

she apparently had a cat in the box at one time. she just needs to tend the trap so when there is one caught, she can call animal control. She could also try one of the other two legal methods suggested;

or she can just complain and do nothing.

it sounds like she has settled with the last option or reverting to attempting to trying to poison them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">