• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ball Playing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mvp536

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY/Long Island
I have neighbors children ages 21, 19 & 15 constantly playing football & baseball in front of my property. Their house faces a different direction. They have broken 2 mailboxes which we never asked the neighbors for any money and more importantly are always hitting the electric/telephone and internet cables that lead to my house knocking out service. We have asked numerous times for them to stop but they feel they have a right to play on a public street.
Can I legally stop them from playing in front of my property? What is my recourse?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY/Long Island
I have neighbors children ages 21, 19 & 15 constantly playing football & baseball in front of my property. Their house faces a different direction. They have broken 2 mailboxes which we never asked the neighbors for any money and more importantly are always hitting the electric/telephone and internet cables that lead to my house knocking out service. We have asked numerous times for them to stop but they feel they have a right to play on a public street.
Can I legally stop them from playing in front of my property? What is my recourse?
They have a right to play on the public street.

When the service goes down due to their playing outside, I think you need better service.

Keep ypur reciepts for mailboxes, call the cops when they break it, and sue them for the damage.

FlyingRon

You need to complain to the telephone and electric companies. There's no way being "hit with a ball" should affect your service one bit. I don't believe your story at all.

drewguy

You need to complain to the telephone and electric companies. There's no way being "hit with a ball" should affect your service one bit. I don't believe your story at all.
And, if in fact their balls are knocking down the wires, tell the cable/electric co. who is responsible and let them seek redress.

I would speak to the parents about the mailbox and tell them you've replaced it at your expense twice to be neighborly but that you'd appreciate their explaining to their sons that you expect them to pay for the next one.

FarmerJ

I agree , if theres a problem with CATV services they can put a security box over any open splitters to protect them from weather or what ever, But the mail box yes speak to the parents , and about the boys using the street, it is a public street , If it was me Id be grateful about living somewhere that youth feel comfortable about playing outside , Alot of people live in areas where due for safety reasons its not a good choice for younger let alone older youth to engage in positive recreational activity outside. I know your not pleased with the current situation BUT split your issues , one is that the affected utilities have not done a good job with the connections since if it wasnt a ball it could be a branch from a bad windstorm or even excessive moisture getting into the connections, Mail box , go speak with the parents , it appears they have raised the boys to make good choices regarding free time activitys so its likely the parents will follow and make a good choice by setting consequences like paying you for mailbox damage. If parents do not respond well then consider sending them letter next time demanding the damage to mail box be paid for via certified mail.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree , if theres a problem with CATV services they can put a security box over any open splitters to protect them from weather or what ever, But the mail box yes speak to the parents , and about the boys using the street, it is a public street , If it was me Id be grateful about living somewhere that youth feel comfortable about playing outside , Alot of people live in areas where due for safety reasons its not a good choice for younger let alone older youth to engage in positive recreational activity outside. I know your not pleased with the current situation BUT split your issues , one is that the affected utilities have not done a good job with the connections since if it wasnt a ball it could be a branch from a bad windstorm or even excessive moisture getting into the connections, Mail box , go speak with the parents , it appears they have raised the boys to make good choices regarding free time activitys so its likely the parents will follow and make a good choice by setting consequences like paying you for mailbox damage. If parents do not respond well then consider sending them letter next time demanding the damage to mail box be paid for via certified mail.
TWO of the 3 "kids" are legal adults. Just something to keep in mind when considering talking to the "parents" ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">