• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Controlling neighbor/duelling surveillance cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MojoBuc2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida:
our neighbor has for the past several years been trying to control my families behavior. 1st- we had purchased a trampoline, she did not approve. told us she did not want her daughter, my daughters age and friend to play on it. We said no problem, they can play in front. It wasn't enough, she sent emails to my wife about ins. regualtions etc and demanded we get rid of it. We did not and it all started from there. since, she would call and conplain we were "taunting" her daughter when ever we played on it then we were "taunting" her dog to the point that he started to destroy my "old " wooden fence. (I have not turned them in as I put a fence in on my siade and didn't need the aggravation)Fast forward to 6 months ago, my son and his friends as well as myself, play catch out front (baseball and football) and she has asked us to stop at least 6 times in that time frame for fear we may hit one of her car's. We have played at least for the last 3 years as my son is now 12, NEVER hit any of the cars though the ball admittedly has rolled across the driveway a few times.
I refused to stop, I told her if we damage it I'll pay for it. Well about 2 months ago she video tapped the boys playing football, they ran inside and told me as well as called their mom. We asked her about it and she denied even owning a video camera or reg. camera said the boys were lying. things went down hill from there. She asked me why I never talk to her only her husband, I explained I can actually talk to and reach a mutual agreement with husband, adult like. She then told me her husband would just come in and tell her what an ... jerk I was and they would have a good laugh. I said fine, I don't need to talk to him either, but b4 that happened we came to a mutual agreement, we would stop playing baseball if they would stop racing down the street when they saw us outside playing basketball or football. She said, they would try. things were quiet until 2 weeks ago, when the husband saw us playing basketball and raced his mustang by, to which I told him I thought we had an agreement? He told me I worry too much and then said he was done talking, said ok fine guess were back to playing baseball, and he flipped. wanted to stomp me in the street and started cursing me and pushed me. Apparently, they had put up a vidoe camera to "watch us" but all the threat and name caliing came from just out of view of the camera, i feel they are trying to bait us into something. Cops were called out and things cooled down. that monday the wife frm her garage started name calling to my wife, so tuesday we purchased cameras and placed them in view of my property BUT they do also catch those places here they hide and verbally abuse. Well EVERYTHING from them stopped, threats, speeding and name calling. But then today they called the cops to complain about my camera watching them, I explained to the deputy what happened with them as well as that i was robbed a year ago and I have another cmaera pointing the other way. Also pointed out their camera on my yard. He was amazed at her stupidity and walked right up to the camera shaking his head. He told me mine were fine but I know it is far from over.
MY question is (sorry about the details) can I file a suit against them for harrasment or is there anything i can do to legally to squash this? The husband had threatened sever physical harm and promised I would get mine on one of my job sites. I told the cops and they said there was nothing they can really do. I am ove 40 and do not need the aggravation of either jail or the hospital. Any suggestions ?

ps- they have also put a fence up between properties that is from one inch to 6"'s on MY side, again, I didn't want any headaches but unfortunatley, they forced my hand

HomeGuru

our neighbor has for the past several years been trying to control my families behavior. 1st- we had purchased a trampoline, she did not approve. told us she did not want her daughter, my daughters age and friend to play on it. We said no problem, they can play in front. It wasn't enough, she sent emails to my wife about ins. regualtions etc and demanded we get rid of it. We did not and it all started from there. since, she would call and conplain we were "taunting" her daughter when ever we played on it then we were "taunting" her dog to the point that he started to destroy my "old " wooden fence. (I have not turned them in as I put a fence in on my siade and didn't need the aggravation)Fast forward to 6 months ago, my son and his friends as well as myself, play catch out front (baseball and football) and she has asked us to stop at least 6 times in that time frame for fear we may hit one of her car's. We have played at least for the last 3 years as my son is now 12, NEVER hit any of the cars though the ball admittedly has rolled across the driveway a few times.
I refused to stop, I told her if we damage it I'll pay for it. Well about 2 months ago she video tapped the boys playing football, they ran inside and told me as well as called their mom. We asked her about it and she denied even owning a video camera or reg. camera said the boys were lying. things went down hill from there. She asked me why I never talk to her only her husband, I explained I can actually talk to and reach a mutual agreement with husband, adult like. She then told me her husband would just come in and tell her what an ... jerk I was and they would have a good laugh. I said fine, I don't need to talk to him either, but b4 that happened we came to a mutual agreement, we would stop playing baseball if they would stop racing down the street when they saw us outside playing basketball or football. She said, they would try. things were quiet until 2 weeks ago, when the husband saw us playing basketball and raced his mustang by, to which I told him I thought we had an agreement? He told me I worry too much and then said he was done talking, said ok fine guess were back to playing baseball, and he flipped. wanted to stomp me in the street and started cursing me and pushed me. Apparently, they had put up a vidoe camera to "watch us" but all the threat and name caliing came from just out of view of the camera, i feel they are trying to bait us into something. Cops were called out and things cooled down. that monday the wife frm her garage started name calling to my wife, so tuesday we purchased cameras and placed them in view of my property BUT they do also catch those places here they hide and verbally abuse. Well EVERYTHING from them stopped, threats, speeding and name calling. But then today they called the cops to complain about my camera watching them, I explained to the deputy what happened with them as well as that i was robbed a year ago and I have another cmaera pointing the other way. Also pointed out their camera on my yard. He was amazed at her stupidity and walked right up to the camera shaking his head. He told me mine were fine but I know it is far from over.
MY question is (sorry about the details) can I file a suit against them for harrasment or is there anything i can do to legally to squash this? The husband had threatened sever physical harm and promised I would get mine on one of my job sites. I told the cops and they said there was nothing they can really do. I am ove 40 and do not need the aggravation of either jail or the hospital. Any suggestions ?

ps- they have also put a fence up between properties that is from one inch to 6"'s on MY side, again, I didn't want any headaches but unfortunatley, they forced my hand
**A: I have some suggestions but none of them are fit to print.

justalayman

you are basically stuck with a Hatfield-MacCoy feud and other than the speeding, it doesn;t sound like either side can do anything about the other side.

you both must be cautious about what you video record. Generally, anything viewable from a location you are legally allowed to be is legit. Recording audio becomes a touchier situation and although generally a person speaking loudly enough to be heard by others can legitimately be recorded, not recording audio is the safest way to go.

If your camera views the inside of their house, you can easily run into trouble with that and should be avoided.

Recording a person without their permission in an area they have a reasonable expectation of privacy is definitely illegal in Florida.

So, what do you do?

keep a log of the threats

call the police if they drive recklessly and especially if they appear to be threatening you with the vehicle (act like they are going to hit you)

call the police if you are assaulted (in actual fear of being hit)

as to the fence: it's up to you but I would suggest if you have an accurate survey to show the fence is on your property, you send them notification to remove the fence from your property. Failing to do so could result in an adverse possession situation down the road.

MojoBuc2

justalayman, I actually emailed the sheriff before I put up the cameras, they told me the same thing you just said. Both cameras as well as hers are only on the front lawn (her's mostly on my lawn) and mine on a fence opening between our properties and my 2nd camera actually catches my driveway/front entrance and road, not into anyones home. I really don't want to know what goes on in there nor do i care. I don't even carethat they speed, as long as my kids, their friends and myself are not out there.

the cops also told us to keep a log and we have and as far as reckless driving, he ran over my Slow Down guy that warns kids are playing, admitted it to the police and they did nothing.

This guy:
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/PP/products/kids/sept/PP_alertvisual_366.jpg

you are basically stuck with a Hatfield-MacCoy feud and other than the speeding, it doesn;t sound like either side can do anything about the other side.

you both must be cautious about what you video record. Generally, anything viewable from a location you are legally allowed to be is legit. Recording audio becomes a touchier situation and although generally a person speaking loudly enough to be heard by others can legitimately be recorded, not recording audio is the safest way to go.

If your camera views the inside of their house, you can easily run into trouble with that and should be avoided.

Recording a person without their permission in an area they have a reasonable expectation of privacy is definitely illegal in Florida.

So, what do you do?

keep a log of the threats

call the police if they drive recklessly and especially if they appear to be threatening you with the vehicle (act like they are going to hit you)

call the police if you are assaulted (in actual fear of being hit)

as to the fence: it's up to you but I would suggest if you have an accurate survey to show the fence is on your property, you send them notification to remove the fence from your property. Failing to do so could result in an adverse possession situation down the road.

Last edited:

MojoBuc2

so this morning the husband walks out and does what we now call his
"dumba.. dance" as was out there this morning for 5 minutes at least flipping off our camera and what not. Pretty comical. What wasn't comical and I didn't mention before, he threatened to get me at one of my job sites, said he would follow me and beat my a.., well after i left for work this morning, my wife called and told mea strange truck stopped in front of our house and sat there for 10-15 minutes and then left. I came home and we called the cops. The guy that called us was the same guy from yesterday, he said she was irate that there was nothing he would do and called him names, "he's never been called as a police officer" and directed us to the community officer, a guy my wife and i have know 25 years.
Then as i was coming home with my 12 year old son from school, the wife was coming off the street and made a p'o'ed face and flipped me and my son off. My son, thankfully, is like my mother, very peaceful, but he was cracking up at her face. We documneted everything including the finger with my son.

justalayman

ya know, not trying to stir up problems but the internet loves those stupid dumba dances.

You might want to inquire into what it would take to get a restraining order or PPO or whatever your state has that would be equal. You may not be able to get one as some places like things to get pretty serious before they will issue one but you never know until you check.

MojoBuc2

yea I thought about that and can't wait till summer when she is out in her bikini, cowboy hat and boots cutting the lawn.... but I'll wait until I talk to a lawyer friday to see about that and see what legal action, if any, we can take as well as speaking to the community officer tomorrow

ya know, not trying to stir up problems but the internet loves those stupid dumba dances.

JustAPal00

OP, Just so that you are aware, many insurance companies now treat trampolines like swimming pools. They need to be fenced. I'm not sure who your insurance company is but it might be worth inquiring as to their policy. If they send out an inspector "like me", you could find that they will send you a notice of non-renewal. Some still just require the netting around them, but more and more are requiring a fence. Other than that, keep a copy of all irrational behavior exhibited by your neighbor and her husband and be on your best in front of their cameras.

MojoBuc2

thank you for the heads up, we don't really use it much anymore anyway, mostly just to lounge on at night and look at the stars.
But we are, some old friends and myself, we are planning a jump party maybe this weekend, just to..... have some fun. As far as their camera, it is tempting to just moon them but I know it can back fire. I've stayed good, no matter how hard it is. 25,20 even 15 years ago... one of us would have been in jail the other hospital, thankfully, I'm not that guy anymore, life is too short and precious.

OP, Just so that you are aware, many insurance companies now treat trampolines like swimming pools. They need to be fenced. I'm not sure who your insurance company is but it might be worth inquiring as to their policy. If they send out an inspector "like me", you could find that they will send you a notice of non-renewal. Some still just require the netting around them, but more and more are requiring a fence. Other than that, keep a copy of all irrational behavior exhibited by your neighbor and her husband and be on your best in front of their cameras.

MojoBuc2

it just keeps getting better....

they installed last night another camera, I can see from my back den window right now, 4-6' over my 6 ' privacy fence.

I just smiled and waved.
we called the sheriff but I am pretty sure, it is illegal

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
thank you for the heads up, we don't really use it much anymore anyway, mostly just to lounge on at night and look at the stars.
But we are, some old friends and myself, we are planning a jump party maybe this weekend, just to..... have some fun. As far as their camera, it is tempting to just moon them but I know it can back fire. I've stayed good, no matter how hard it is. 25,20 even 15 years ago... one of us would have been in jail the other hospital, thankfully, I'm not that guy anymore, life is too short and precious.
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long long time!

Alex23

OP, do you have any proof that the neighbors are actually recording and aren't just doing this to wind you up?

They say fences and curtains make good neighbors. However, trampolines are not very nice to have next door. I don't live near any, but you can easily google about trampolines and neighbor hostility.

Playing sports in the street can be irritating, too. Especially if it's excessive or ongoing. There's too much to re-read, but you mentioned football, baseball, and basketball. Did I miss soccer? That's a lot of sports, and a lot of basketball bouncing in the street, which makes an irritating and repetitive thud. Do you own a portable basketball goalpost?

We all commend you for keeping your kids active, but isn't there a park or playground for them to play basketball in?

Your neighbor obviously doesn't want to see or hear your kids, and I can hardly blame them. Without both sides of the story it's not easy to give a good evaluation of the situation, but this is just what I observed from your post.

mommyof4

OP, do you have any proof that the neighbors are actually recording and aren't just doing this to wind you up?

They say fences and curtains make good neighbors. However, trampolines are not very nice to have next door. I don't live near any, but you can easily google about trampolines and neighbor hostility.

Playing sports in the street can be irritating, too. Especially if it's excessive or ongoing. There's too much to re-read, but you mentioned football, baseball, and basketball. Did I miss soccer? That's a lot of sports, and a lot of basketball bouncing in the street, which makes an irritating and repetitive thud. Do you own a portable basketball goalpost?

We all commend you for keeping your kids active, but isn't there a park or playground for them to play basketball in?

Your neighbor obviously doesn't want to see or hear your kids, and I can hardly blame them. Without both sides of the story it's not easy to give a good evaluation of the situation, but this is just what I observed from your post.

Seems to me that if the neighbor doesn't want to see or hear kids, then the neighbor should move somewhere far away from kids.

I have to say, as a mother or 4 very well behaved kids, it irritates me when people think that they have the exclusive right to enjoy the neighborhood at the expense of the kids and my family. If my kids are playing on MY property and not being ridiculous (that does not mean there will be no occasional squeals, bouncing balls, loud laughter, etc.) then there is NO reason I would ever tolerate someone telling me I should take my kids to the park to play. I have actually dealt with a neighbor similar to the one the OP is describing. After a while, it actually became kind of fun to tick her off because she was so out of line. When she kicked my dog and then hit my child in the face with a ball that she came over and took away from her, ON MY PROPERTY, all bets were off.

Further, I have a trampoline (always have had one and always will have one.) The ONLY complaints I get are from the kids whose parents will not sign the permission slips allowing them to play on the trampoline. :rolleyes:

Bottom line: If you don't like kids palying, don't live in a neighborhood that has kids.

GotSmart

it just keeps getting better....

they installed last night another camera, I can see from my back den window right now, 4-6' over my 6 ' privacy fence.

I just smiled and waved.
we called the sheriff but I am pretty sure, it is illegal
Raise the fence. Put up a border that is 8 inches tall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">