• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NM body art

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cucuy

So I operate a body art studio in Las Cruces, NM. Last year the state instituted the Body Art Safety Practices Act, which provides minimum standards for tattoo and body piercing studios. I have changed locations, switched out all of my piercing jewelry, etc., effectively tripling my overhead and halving my business. I also got quite behind on my taxes, as I was dumping all of my profits into coming into compliance. Fast forward to today, and the regulations are not being enforced at all! Out of around 13 studios in this city, MAYBE 3 (including ours) would pass a proper inspection. This is making it practically impossible to operate and I feel is giving my competitors an unfair advantage. Are there any legal options available to me, or am I resigned to filing bankruptcy over the next year?

HomeGuru

So I operate a body art studio in Las Cruces, NM. Last year the state instituted the Body Art Safety Practices Act, which provides minimum standards for tattoo and body piercing studios. I have changed locations, switched out all of my piercing jewelry, etc., effectively tripling my overhead and halving my business. I also got quite behind on my taxes, as I was dumping all of my profits into coming into compliance. Fast forward to today, and the regulations are not being enforced at all! Out of around 13 studios in this city, MAYBE 3 (including ours) would pass a proper inspection. This is making it practically impossible to operate and I feel is giving my competitors an unfair advantage. Are there any legal options available to me, or am I resigned to filing bankruptcy over the next year?
**A: what legal options are you talking about? This is a legal advice website anot a financial advice website.

Cucuy

Yeah, I'm not looking for financial advice, I was wondering if there was any way to make a case against the state or the regulating board for not owning up their duties put forth in the regulations. I don't know anything about lawsuits and all that, and I'm not looking for reparations, just for the state to do their job. I can compete, as long as everyone is on a level playing field.

HomeGuru

Yeah, I'm not looking for financial advice, I was wondering if there was any way to make a case against the state or the regulating board for not owning up their duties put forth in the regulations. I don't know anything about lawsuits and all that, and I'm not looking for reparations, just for the state to do their job. I can compete, as long as everyone is on a level playing field.
**A: hello, most states now are grossly understaffed and underfunded.
Soon their will be furlough mondays and tuesdays in addition to fridays.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">