• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partition Action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwheat30

Texas
My ex-boyfriend and I purchased our home in June '09 and collected the first time home buyers' tax credit. We signed the title as single and not married. We are both 50% owners as I understand it. Since then, he has moved out and gotten an apartment. That was about 5 months ago. Now he has lost his job and is slowly moving back in. He is barely helping with the mortgage payment at all. I need to know my options for moving out or getting him out of the house. I would prefer to get him off of the mortgage, title, and everything else. Anyone have any advise? I've read a little about the partition action but I'm not sure if this is right for me.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Marriages are easier to get out of than mortgages and houses.

You can't throw out an owner.
You're free to move out.

If the mortgage doesn't get paid, your credit will be trashed.

A partition action will be expensive.

Can you afford to refi the place on your own? If so offer Mr. Deadbeat release from the mortgage obligation if he'll deed the property over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">