• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition to reopen estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anne freitag

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My mother died in 2997 in Maryland. I was appointed personal representative since I was her only heir. The estate was close in 2001.

During a search on the internet, I discovered an insurance policy for $1,800.00 issued by John Han**** Insurance. I sent the reqired forms to the Comptroller of Maryland, Unclaimed Poperty Division. I received a letter requesting papers from the estate but needed "Appointment of Resident Agent. I could not find this and was told to contact the Register of wills for PG County, the County in which my mother lived prior to her death.

The Register of Wills told me to write a letter explaining why I wanted to open the estate. I complied. Today I received a form from them telling me I needed a'Petition to Reopen' to the Orphans Court of Maryland.

Any suggestions. I tried to find a form for this online but, no luck. Do I have to hire an attorney. It will probably cost more than the policy is worth. Any suggestions are very welcome.

latigo

Maybe you’re looking in the wrong places, because you’ve neglected to mention a critical piece of information? Like who or what is the designated beneficiary under the life policy?

If the proceeds were not designated to paid to your mother's estate, then her estate would not be involved.

You write that you’ve communicated with the Maryland Comptroller , but haven’t said one way or another whether e Maryland is holding the proceeds as unclaimed property and if so, why was it paid to the state?

Nor have you said anything about communicating with the insurer.

DannieB

Beneficiary on Insurance

There is usually one listed. I would call them directly.

Please , if you would help me, as no one here bothered to even respond to my
post asking how you can run an asset check,
how did you do it? Would appreciate the advice or website you used.
I've gotten nothing but people giving me lessons in grammar. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">