• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts of an Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cutterpie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My mother-in-law died in January, 2004. At that time she had no assets and therefore had an insolvent estate. She had a bunch of credit card debt and possibly doctor/hospital bills. Prior to her death I was her POA and I received all mail. About a year or so after her death I received one of those "class action" lawsuit mailings and was tempted to throw it away. I contacted an attorney and learned that she was in fact entitled to funds and that suit had to be filed by her administrator. I qualified in October 2006 as the administrator. After reviewing her claim, it was settled for approximately $137,000, which after attorney fees and repayment to Medicare, the estate received approximately $35,000 in August, 2009. There was a tax issue with IRS which I have now settled.

According to VA, I must pay her debt (after paying all taxes) before any beneficiary can receive funds. My question is how do I determine what her debts are since this was so long ago? I have pulled a copy of her credit report and it is very hard to read as some items were prior to her death which I believe was included in a bankruptcy she did in 1999 (still showing on it) and others have been listed as closed/paid/charged off/repossession/deceased, etc. I'm not sure if the estate is still responsible due to a statue of limitation or since no claim was made.

Any help you can provide would be most helpful.

BrigitteWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

A debt collection attorney in your area can advise you about the statute of limitations, which is very useful to know because it can effectively eliminate responsibility for a debt that falls within a certain time period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">