• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued by my HOA after I move?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaminzach

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

On March 5th 2010, I accepted an offer on my home. The closing is set for March 31st. I just recieved a summons that I am being sued by my HOA for $1,382.60 for attorney fees to file an injunction for me to remove my boat. I have had a small boat on a trailer parked on the side of my house for the last 4 1/2 years. I am shocked to say the least, I was never warned or asked to move it, but it is in the HOA covenant that boats cannot be kept on the property, and that I can be sued for their "reasonable attorney fees".

It seems incredibly spiteful that they waited almost 5 years and sued me after a "sale pending" sign was in our yard, and the boat injunction was no longer necessary. But here is my question: they sued me under the wrong name, the summons is for "Jack" instead of "Zach". Can I file a motion and force them to refile under my correct name, by which time we will no longer own property in this neighborhood and they will not have jurisdiction to sue me? Since they filed after our sale is pending does that mean anything? I am frusterated beyond words, if they would have sent me ONE notice that I was not in compliance I would have moved the boat.

Do I have any legal response to get out of paying over $1k for an injunction to remove a boat that is no longer there, on a property I have already sold??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

On March 5th 2010, I accepted an offer on my home. The closing is set for March 31st. I just recieved a summons that I am being sued by my HOA for $1,382.60 for attorney fees to file an injunction for me to remove my boat. I have had a small boat on a trailer parked on the side of my house for the last 4 1/2 years. I am shocked to say the least, I was never warned or asked to move it, but it is in the HOA covenant that boats cannot be kept on the property, and that I can be sued for their "reasonable attorney fees".

It seems incredibly spiteful that they waited almost 5 years and sued me after a "sale pending" sign was in our yard, and the boat injunction was no longer necessary. But here is my question: they sued me under the wrong name, the summons is for "Jack" instead of "Zach". Can I file a motion and force them to refile under my correct name, by which time we will no longer own property in this neighborhood and they will not have jurisdiction to sue me? Since they filed after our sale is pending does that mean anything? I am frusterated beyond words, if they would have sent me ONE notice that I was not in compliance I would have moved the boat.

Do I have any legal response to get out of paying over $1k for an injunction to remove a boat that is no longer there, on a property I have already sold??
You knew all along the boat wasn't supposed to be there.
Yes, they can sue. Yes, they can win.

ETA: Furthermore, this could end up putting a wrench in the works for the sale of your place.

jaminzach

Zigner, thank you for your fast response! I was hoping that if their motion was re-filed after we had already closed on our sale, they would no longer have any jurisdiction to sue us. I am NOT here railing against "evil HOA's" or wanting to sue anybody. I was just hoping to not have to pay such an high fee for such a meaningless suit. Do I have a glimmer of hope? Would it be worth talking to a lawyer? Or is this as cut and dry as cases come?
Thanks again for the response.

You Are Guilty

If the HOA would be willing to settle for less than $1,300, then the odds are fairly good that hiring a lawyer, (even if successful), would end up costing you significantly more than that.

And they probably waited to sue you until 1) they knew you had the money to pay, and 2) they knew they had you by the short hairs when you had a sale pending.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner, thank you for your fast response! I was hoping that if their motion was re-filed after we had already closed on our sale, they would no longer have any jurisdiction to sue us. I am NOT here railing against "evil HOA's" or wanting to sue anybody. I was just hoping to not have to pay such an high fee for such a meaningless suit. Do I have a glimmer of hope? Would it be worth talking to a lawyer? Or is this as cut and dry as cases come?
Thanks again for the response.
They wouldn't have to "re-file" - there are other ways to do it.

CLJM

Jaminzack,
As a former HOA Board Member (though not in Indiana) , quite frankly, I am puzzled about one thing---that your HOA and attorney would file and bill you for the violation injunction fees without any prior written notice that you were in violation of the Covenants. Seems extremely unlikely to me that your "due process" rights of notice and a chance to correct the violation would be negated and they would go for a direct filing.
My opinion is:
1. That you would have received notice, and perhaps ignored it.
2. I would check your documents for due process rights about whether notification of a violation and a time period to correct is required.

Your quandary at this point is---- you are under a time constraint to rectify this so that you are able to close your home sale. Many closing documents require the HOA to "sign off" as part of the sale.

TinkerBelleLuvr

It is possible that double the amount in dispute can be put in escrow awaiting the settlement of the dispute. That will allow the closing of the house, and then the matter to be settled.

nextwife

Expect that the "Association Letter" obtained from the association by the closing agent who is handling your closing will reflect these violations and amount due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">