• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary Business Activity on LLC registration form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SelfMadeStartup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I'm applying to create an LLC on legalzoom.com and filling out the application. One of the questions is "Which of the following best describes the company's primary business activity?" There is a list of categories to choose from. The form then asks me to describe my primary business activity.

The rep from legalzoom I spoke with over the phone
said it can be short description. I'm planning on creating a blog that has a database of pics and info on interesting places to travel. Eventually down the road I plan to profit from online advertising. So should I "choose education and instruction" or "advertising and marketing" for my primary business activity? And what should I state when asked to describe that activity? A buddy of mine that's a CPA said to keep it as broad as possible. He advised me to put sales as the primary business activity.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

tranquility

I think, it's not going to make any difference at all. Follow the CPA's advice and keep the operating documents as broad as possible.

tranquility

That's why I thought it best to be as broad as possible as well. Even then, I don't think I've ever even heard (outside of the case book) of an ultra vires suit for beyond the business purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">