• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check FOR dead person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txrocky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My mom died in Aug. Today I received a refund check for her Cable from Time Warner. She had no estate and we have already closed her checking account.

What can I do with this check?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My mom died in Aug. Today I received a refund check for her Cable from Time Warner. She had no estate and we have already closed her checking account.

What can I do with this check?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Return it to Time Warner.

Dandy Don

Check at your county courthouse probate court to see if they have simplified procedures for filing for smaller estates (most counties do). After you file to open up probate you will receive a document called letters testamentary and it is a certified copy of that document that you will need to present to any bank to cash the check.

anteater

...if they have simplified procedures for filing for smaller estates (most counties do).
Counties do not have "simplified procedures." State law provides for any small estate process.

After you file to open up probate you will receive a document called letters testamentary...
The point of small estate processes is that there is no requirement to "open up probate" and no need for the court to issue letters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">