• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Dammed up my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Winkleman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Years ago my next door neighbor used a front end loader to take soil from the rear of his property and constructed a long dike between our properties. I am on the higher side of the natural drainage and he didn't want rain runoff coming onto his property. Now the entire eastern side of my property floods and it's ruined my wood privacy fence and is threatening my shop building. Does anyone know if there are limitations on suing someone because the illegal act was committed so many years ago? We're talking about 17 or 18 years ago, when we first moved onto our properties. I have dated pictures showing him constructing the dike, does that help?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

DAD10

Re Drainage

Your 5-2-09 post would be considered a duplicate thread.
It would appear that you did not act on this problem diligently.
Yes -you can sue your neighbor, however you should have protected your property long ago (through means deemed appropriate).

DAD10

It appears OP did not act with diligence.
DNR may (as in maybe) have a say in this issue-however as to the damage done-they would have NO say due to OP's procrastination in the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">