• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Question regarding non payment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have been a homeowner in an Austin Community for 2 years now. My HOA dues are $200 a year. From reading my HOA handbook, nothing they say they are providing has been fulfilled. I have to clean up my own alley, which is community property, neighborhood watch is suspect at best. My house was broken into in broad daylight while I was at work and my 4 non-working neighbors saw or heard nothing. I have no problems with my neighbors just the HOA. We do not have a community center or a pool. Basically I feel that I am paying them for the right to do their work. I have sent many letters regarding putting up a sign about the alley not being a through street, no response. Basically, I feel that I am paying yearly to Clean up community property. Nothing else is done.
My question is... Is there a way to secede from the HOA or combat the costs? I am paying them so I can clean up my own community.

FlyingRon

You as a single homeowner will find it near impossible to get out of the HOA.
You first need to read the by-laws, etc... of the HOA (not the community marketing brochure or handbook) to see what your options are. HOA is not responsible for keeping your house from being broken into. If you have enough neighbors who feel as you do, it shouldn't be hard to compel changes in the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">