• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming onership of property after residing there...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Imperium2k

Hello all
I'm from NC and had a question. I am buying a house here and possibly having my girlfriend move in with me. I heard that if she lives there an extended amount of time that she may be able to lay claim as an owner of the property is that true?

latigo

Your seeming simple question involves a host of complex laws relating to adverse possession, statutes of frauds, marital property, etc.

But suffice it to say that as long as the person is occupying the home with the consent of the owner and the owner has not signed a document purporting to transfer an interest in the home and the owner and the occupant do not intermarry, then that individual would acquire no vested or provable property rights in the home.

Not even if the person contributed to the living expenses, including the mortage payments, would they acquire an ownership interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">