• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclaimed Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisfro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
I filed a claim with a small estates affidavit last April with the State Of NY Comptrollers Office who is holding funds in my father's name exceeding $15,000. I live in Florida but have a sibling in Connecticut where my father was deceased in 1983. This sibling is willing to represent the estate. Is it necessary to hire an attorney and what is the process time frame?

Dandy Don

If no probate was done for the decedent's estate, it's a mystery why you filed the affidavit with the Comptroller's Office when you possibly should have submitted it to the probate court wherever the death occurred in Connecticut. The court there would have issued letters testamentary, which the administrator would then submit to the Comptroller's Office to claim the unclaimed funds.

With the volume of claims handled by New York, it will take at least 6 months or more for them to process the claim after the letters testamentary are presented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">