• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenn3418

i live in ga, i sold my car to a friend on 2/29/01. she paid $700, and signed an agreement to pay the remaining amount of $1200 on 3/23/01. in order for her to get her tag, i signed over the title of the car to her, she told me since she had not paid off the car, the title would be mailed back to me from the tag office. i have not recieved the title,nor can i get in touch with this person. the entire agreement is in writing and signed by both of us. any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jenn3418 said:
i live in ga, i sold my car to a friend on 2/29/01. she paid $700, and signed an agreement to pay the remaining amount of $1200 on 3/23/01. in order for her to get her tag, i signed over the title of the car to her, she told me since she had not paid off the car, the title would be mailed back to me from the tag office. i have not recieved the title,nor can i get in touch with this person. the entire agreement is in writing and signed by both of us. any suggestions would be appreciated!!
My response:

You have been duped and deceived.

A car title, like stock certificates, are "negotiable instruments". Once signed, you release all right, title and interest to the vehicle.

All she has to say is that she paid the balance by cash, and then show the signed title to the judge. She would say, "Why would he sign the title, your honor, if I didn't pay him?"

You've got yourself a real fight on your hands, and tipping the scales in your favor is going to be an uphill battle.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">