• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re hearing after Supreme Court Denied Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elisa404

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was divorced in 2000, in my final order my ex-husband was ordered to pay 60,000 to the IRS for money he had taken from our account to pay the taxes but never did.

In 2001 I filed contempt because he did not take care of it and he was found quilty and ordered to perge himself or go to jail. He ignored this order as well

in 2004 there was another contempt for child support filed and my attorney once again included the IRS contempt. I was unsure why it needed to be heard again but I followed his advice. This time he was ordered to pay me personally 50,000 in 7 days or go to jail.

His attorney appealed, my attorney said it could take a long time to hear from the appeal.

I later found by going to the courthouse that the Supreme Court had denied his appeal.
When I discovered this in 2008 and tried to enforce the order to incarcerate my ex husband hired an attorney who was also a magistrate judge who called the superior court judge and asked him to re-hear the case so my ex would not go to jail and the judge granted the re-hearing.

Is it possible that a Superior Court judge can do this after the appeal had previously been denied by the Supreme Court?

BOR

That needs to be addressed at the local level again. The state SC's refusal to hear it has no bearing on any local rules of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">