• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gifting circle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blueone

I asked this question before and didn't really get a lot of helpful suggestions although I appreciate the comments given. Situation: I joined a gifting circle that I found out was illegal. I gave the money back to the people who paid me. They gave me a signed notarized statement saying that I paid them in full. They are now demanding more money, money that I did not receive from them. They are threatening to sue or turn me into the authorities. Is the notarized statement enough to protect me? Should I wait and see what they do or should I seek legal counsel now?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Blueone said:
I asked this question before and didn't really get a lot of helpful suggestions although I appreciate the comments given. Situation: I joined a gifting circle that I found out was illegal. I gave the money back to the people who paid me. They gave me a signed notarized statement saying that I paid them in full. They are now demanding more money, money that I did not receive from them. They are threatening to sue or turn me into the authorities. Is the notarized statement enough to protect me? Should I wait and see what they do or should I seek legal counsel now?
My response:

Okay, I'll try again. The "statement" should be sufficient proof against their potential Civil complaint against you. I cannot foresee any grounds upon which they could ask for, and receive, more money from you. Anything more amounts to extortion.

But, that doesn't abbrogate the Criminal acts of all of you good folks. Refunding money does not vitiate the potential for criminal prosecution. Remember, ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

B

Blueone

Thanks for the info "I am alway's liable" I appreciate your response. Just one more question. Would the people who signed up on the gifting circle who did not receive money be subject to prosecution for their participation? Just curious. I have advised everyone I know to remove their names from any gifting charts they might be on, but they are still worried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">