• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sketchy job opportunity offered, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Omego2K

My state is New York as is the city.

Hi, I was offered a rather sketchy job. It's to be a president of a company. From what I was told the company is aiming to make it big relatively soon and I would be on stand by until it does. I would get paid a very small monthly salary 400$ a month, but I basically don't do anything at all. Once the company really takes off I was told I could be making 200K a year. Now my question is if I am the president of this company and it should do something illegal or fail or something to that extent, would I be responsible even though I wouldn't oversee day to day operations or even be involved with the company? Where I am only president in name, but not in practice. What ramifications could arise from me being president in this scenario?

Thanks in advance

Antigone*

My state is New York as is the city.

Hi, I was offered a rather sketchy job. It's to be a president of a company. From what I was told the company is aiming to make it big relatively soon and I would be on stand by until it does. I would get paid a very small monthly salary 400$ a month, but I basically don't do anything at all. Once the company really takes off I was told I could be making 200K a year. Now my question is if I am the president of this company and it should do something illegal or fail or something to that extent, would I be responsible even though I wouldn't oversee day to day operations or even be involved with the company? Where I am only president in name, but not in practice. What ramifications could arise from me being president in this scenario?

Thanks in advance
You can be held personally liable for any criminal actions of the company. If you don't believe me Google the names Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling.

OP ~ say this out loud and repeat until is sinks in your head: If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

swalsh411

Let me guess... somebody claiming to be from another country whom you've never met emailed you about this wonderful opportunity.

:p IT'S A SCAM :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">