• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do regarding this house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrono114

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello everyone,

This is a very interesting matter which I'm going to try to get across as clearly as possible. Let me start by saying I am posting, not for myself, but for my mother who I am trying to help. So if some things are missing I apologize.

Several years back, roughly 3 or 4, my mother became the co-borrower on a brand new house in PA. She had moved up there with my brother (her son), his girlfriend of 8 years, who had previously been living with us here in NY, and my grandfather (her father) who became very ill and needed a place to stay where he could be monitored and taken care of. Over the years, my brothers now ex-girlfriend, has slowly began showing very unstable mental behavior. She verbally abuses my mother and brother, refuses to work to help pay the mortgage (she is the main holder of the policy), and makes living there extremely uncomfortable to the point where my mother is afraid she may try to harm one of them. The ex-girlfriend has also verbally stated several times that she wants them both out of her house permanently. My mother has tried several times to get her name off of the mortgage note but since the ex-girlfriend does not have a job or any form of income they will not let her re-finance.

I'm wondering if there are any other steps that can be taken given this particular scenario that we are unaware of. I know recently the ex-girlfriend did some kind of recast on the house which my mother had nothing to do with. She was not required to sign anything or be present. The reason I bring that up is because I simply do not know what a recast is and was wondering if because my mother was not there to sign does that mean she is off the mortgage note and is no longer required to be a part of that house?

Overall, I'm just desperately trying to find a way to get her out of there, as this has been going on for some time now and I hate to see my mother trapped.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">