• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff's tax sale question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fiveforfighting

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Been living in this home for a little over 2 years. Haven't heard from our landlord for at least a year. No contact at all. Emails bounce back, phones are disconnects. We stopped paying rent and put it aside. Still no contact from him. He makes home improvement videos on youtube so we know he's still alive.

Earlier this summer, a representative from the mortgage company showed up at the home & told us he's not paying his mortgages on this or his other rentals. Foreclosure would be coming. Last month, a man from the sheriff's department showed up with a notice for sheriff's sale. Neither of these people were able to contact the landlord either.

Taxes aren't ridiculous on the property. What is involved at a sheriff's sale ? I'm considering trying to get the property for the tax amount ? Would I then be default mortgage holder? People have told me that the bank probably won't let the property go because they'd lose the mortgage money.

I'd like a clearer picture of what I'm about to try and involve myself in I guess.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Been living in this home for a little over 2 years. Haven't heard from our landlord for at least a year. No contact at all. Emails bounce back, phones are disconnects. We stopped paying rent and put it aside. Still no contact from him. He makes home improvement videos on youtube so we know he's still alive.

Earlier this summer, a representative from the mortgage company showed up at the home & told us he's not paying his mortgages on this or his other rentals. Foreclosure would be coming. Last month, a man from the sheriff's department showed up with a notice for sheriff's sale. Neither of these people were able to contact the landlord either.

Taxes aren't ridiculous on the property. What is involved at a sheriff's sale ? I'm considering trying to get the property for the tax amount ? Would I then be default mortgage holder? People have told me that the bank probably won't let the property go because they'd lose the mortgage money.

I'd like a clearer picture of what I'm about to try and involve myself in I guess.
I thought you said the sheriff said the mortgages aren't being paid and foreclosures would be coming. That doesn't sound like a tax sale but a mortgage foreclosure sale.

the notice should have stated what the sale if for.

FlyingRon

Tax sales will be in the name of the county. Foreclosures typically will have a "Subsitute Trustee" listed (or the bank).

If you bid anything near FMV, you can probably get the property. The bank will usually bid up to what they are owed to protect themselves.

fiveforfighting

The sheriff delivered notice of a sheriff's sale for taxes. A different man told us about the landlord not paying the mortgage. We've not gotten notification of that foreclosure sale.

I checked the county sheriff's sale website and the property is not listed. Should I assume that means that someone ?? payed the back taxes ? The sale is Monday

DAD10

The owner of property typically has 5 years before a sheriff's sale would be executed.-For late taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">