• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bonus discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jolie1

I work in Texas. I just left a company in which bonuses are called "discretionary," though they are given at middle management level every year, contingent on profitability. I was one of four managers on the exact same level, albeit the one with the most company seniority. I had just received the maximum merit increase and a superior performance review. However, when bonuses were given out, I did not receive one. The only difference between myself and the other 3 managers (on the same account) is that I had just given my notice a couple of days prior. My understanding is that everyone in my exact position (associate creative director) received a bonus but me. Can they do that???

A

Attorney_Replogle

If the language within the employees handbook or policy manual or on any other company documents does indicate that the bonuses are discretionary, then you have no "right" to that bonus. It doesn't matter that the bonuses have been given every year, that won't change the character of them from being discretionary to mandatory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">