• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving free merchandise online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgehman04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I may have made a big mistake, but I'm not sure...
I have an ecommerce site and I posted a "giveaway" since we have 12,000 plus people on our newsletter list, I made it an "order number as entry" sort of thing, to make it easier for me to pick a winner, and YES to drive some sales...
Is is illegal to require a purchase to enter to win...
Is this considered a contest?
I didn't see it as such.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

It is an unlawful lottery in PA to accept any consideration where a prize is to be won by chance. It's also illegal in various other states. This is why most businesses offering some sort of prize do two things:

1. Allow entering via a means that doesn't require any purchase or other consideration.
2. Disclaiming entry to those whose laws (other than where the business has a presence) prohibit such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">