• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Townhouse Special Assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marheart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIF
About 3 yrs. ago a Townhouse on a nearby street, in our complex, had geological problems that were not covered by insurance. Instead of borrowing the money from a bank, the Board of Directors decided to self fund, then charge a special assessment to each homeowner. (per Sterling/Davis Act)
There are 108 Units in our complex. 34 homeowners paid. The rest were told they could make payments with interest, towards the special assessment of $3600/owner.
The monthly special assessment fees are due starting May 1, 2010. I wrote a letter stating the facts that I am a 69 yr old senior who lost her job, and living on a fixed income that I don't see changing. I requested a Hardship Waiver and/or I can do office jobs to work off the monthly fees. Denied, denied! They say they are already giving help by working out a 3 yrs. payment plan.
At this point my frustrations are with their method of collection. Each owner pays $220/mo. for homeowners’ dues. If not paid in 6 mo's, they will put a lien against the property. Starting May 1st, anyone who just pays that usual and customary $220/mo. will be credited with only $155.00. The other $65 will be re-routed to the special assessment plus interest.
I wrote that I do not give them the authority to re-route my funds that are intended for regular homeowners’ dues. Someday....I will leave a legacy of not paying for the routine homeowners dues and a lien will go against me for that?
Is it legal to disregard my continued intention of paying the monthly fees?
Our CC&R's were written when the complex was built 1972-76 and never updated.
Thank you for your advice.
Marcia
Thousand Oaks, CA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">