• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

senior executive - termination rights??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fgsm

California - Was hired by CEO of a fortune 500 company to launch a new initiative. After 15 months, due to current economic climate there has been a change of heart. My boss is basically saying find something else to do, either inside or outside the company. Can he fire me? if so under what conditions/compensation? In the USA on an H1B visa acquired for me by this organization.

A

Attorney_Replogle

California has an at-will employment policy that is presumed to be the status of all employees. That means that the employer can terminate you at any time, with or without a reason. The exception is that the termination can't be based on a protected category such as age, race, religion, etc. This presumption applies to all employees regardless of immigration status. Now, if you have a written contract of employment stating in effect that you will work as an ABC employee for X dollars, and that you can't be terminated/fired except for cause until the contract ends in 2001 -- then you are not an at-will employee. Thus, I and all other employment law attorneys would want to personally review any written employment contracts you have before advising you further on this. You can find an attorney near you via https://attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">