• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Zoning change/tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clb rat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho
I recently bought some land in Idaho that was zoned agricultrual. Idaho is a non disclosure state but the Nez Perce Co. assessor has access to the local MLS in Lewiston, ID. The county would not let me buy the land, 5 acres, and split it into 1 acre parcels because it is zoned Ag (5 acre minimum). Now the taxes have gone from 200 per year to over 1,000. Is there a legal term where a county cannot increase assessed tax that is zoned Ag without changing the zoning to match the new increase in tax?

justalayman

You lost me. Are you claiming the land was rezoned and you did not have the ability to determine it was going to be rezoned or are you complaining simply because your taxes went up.

Is the tax rate applied to your property inconsistent with the zoning in place?

Do you believe it is over assessed maybe?

clb rat

You lost me. Are you claiming the land was rezoned and you did not have the ability to determine it was going to be rezoned or are you complaining simply because your taxes went up. No

Is the tax rate applied to your property inconsistent with the zoning in place? Yes

Do you believe it is over assessed maybe? No

The entire area (19 miles from Lewiston, ID) is zoned Ag. I have heard that there is a legal term that describes when a county needs to change a zoning because they increased the property taxes to a rate that is more consistent with residential property zoning categories.

justalayman

Is the tax rate applied to your property inconsistent with the zoning in place? Yes
then you appeal the tax rate. A tax authority cannot impose taxes if they are not legal.

The entire area (19 miles from Lewiston, ID) is zoned Ag. I have heard that there is a legal term that describes when a county needs to change a zoning because they increased the property taxes to a rate that is more consistent with residential property zoning categories.
I don't know what you are thinking of. Tax rates are applied to a zoning classification. If your property is zoned ag and is being taxed at a resi tax rate, or anything other than an ag rate, you appeal the imposition of the improper rate.

justalayman

I believe you would start by contacting these folks:

Nez Perce County Assessors Office:

Our office can answer any questions you may have about your property-you can contact us by phone at (208) 799-3010 or at our office located on the 1st floor of the court house at 1230 Main Street in Lewiston. Our mailing address is:

NPC Assessor
P.O. Box 896
Lewiston, ID 83501

From what little I read, you may have to appeal at a state level but I would start with the assessors office for more direction in the matter.

nextwife

If your intent was to subdivide, did you research what the applicable minimum lot sizes would be on this parcel FIRST? We have communities here with 5 acre minimum lots, and they are NOT zoned agricultural. You cannot just PRESUME all land is legally divisable, regardless of zoning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">