• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utah Laws on Search Warrant's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

winwardfrank

On November 15, 2000 the police payed a uninvited visit to my home at 3:30am in the morning. My question's are One do they need a separate Search Warrant to open a safe? Two would I need to be present when they opened the safe? Three can they arrest me without knowing the contents of the safe? They were completly counting on the information obtained from their confidential informant's tip. They arrested and charged me without having any evidence. What can I do?

calatty

A search warrant generally covers all opened and closed containers in the premises. Your presence is not required. The last part of your question is not clear. If you are asking whether a confidential informant's tip can provide the basis for a search warrant, the answer is yes, depending on the circumstances. Of course the state needs evidence to arrest and charge you with a crime. You might want to share more facts.

W

winwardfrank

Charged and booked me without any evidence.

When the police came to my homeon 11-15-2000 they didn't find anything in the house. And I wouldn't give them the combination to my safe. Then they put me in the van with two other men that got arresred because of warrants. On the way to the jail, I asked can you tell me why I am being arrested because they didn't have the safe opened. He turned around and sayed for being a dick head. See when they booked me into jail it was just possession of a controlled substance. Later on 1-4-2001 when they filed charges on me that read, a Controlled Substance With Intent To Distribute and Money Laundering. Also my booking time reads 11:32am but it also states I seen the jail nurse at 8:38am. I also want to thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

calatty

If they found a controlled substance before they arrested you, then an arrest for that was proper. Charges in addition to those you were arrested for can be added after your arrest. Presumably they found additional evidence after they found the controlled substance. I don't see how the discrepancy in your booking time can help you.

W

winwardfrank

No Evidence Before Arrest

That's what I've been saying from the being. That the police didn't have any evidence on me before they had arrested me. It was about three hours after they had arrested me that they where able to get my safe opened which was where the evidence was. That's the reason why the times don't match on the booking time and when I had seen the jail nurse they are trying to cover it up. Saying they did when they didn't. And who is a Judge going to belive me or a cop? But I do have the two men that went to jail with me that can verift that the police didn't have any evidence before taking me to jail. They knew but didn't have evidence or proof in hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">