• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this an illegal lien?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ROSEFAMILY

What is the name of your state (CT)?

A local attorney in CT wants to buy my parents property for a third less than the asking price. She owns the property directly behind them. They received an offer on the same day by another party. Their offer was 10k more than the attorney's offer but still under their asking price. The attorney stalled getting back to the realtor to sign her offer...what she did was go file a lein on my parents property so they can't sell it. She is basically trying to blackmail them into accepting her lowball offer or she will continue to try to block the sale to any other party. They are elderly and in poor health and on limited incomes. We are only talking about 60k. How can the attorney legally get away with these tactics and what can be done without her seeking retribution against them?

Thanks!

JETX

The attorney stalled getting back to the realtor to sign her offer...what she did was go file a lein on my parents property so they can't sell it.
You have provided NO information on the TYPE of 'lien' that was placed on the property; however, what you are describing sounds like a 'lis pendens' (not a 'real' lien).
In order to file a lis pendens notice, she MUST have had a valid purchase contract signed by all parties... and then claim that your parents breached that agreement.
Clearly, with something like this, your parents need to get a local attorney to review ALL the facts and take action to protect their property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">