• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor sibling rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faquestion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, my younger sister has been named executor of my fathers estate. Currently her and my other siblings arent sharing much information with me and i feel they may be taking money from bank accounts that have been left behind since theyve had access to it to pay my fathers bills while he was alive. In the will it was said that all property was left to be split amongst all siblings. I basically would like to know what are my rights. I also know that my brother would like to buy the house that was left behind. I am also interested in purchasing the property and feel my sister favors him and will give him a cheap price eventhough i am interested as well. Can anyone shed some light on the situation or point me in a direction to find more info besides talking directly to a lawyer?

anteater

Named or appointed by the court? Have you received notice of your sister's appointment?

Do you have any evidence that they are stealing money from the accounts? Do you have any idea if the accounts were jointly owned or had beneficiary designations.

PA gives the personal representative pretty wide latitude. Other than the notice of a grant of letters testamentary (within 3 months of the grant of letters), the personal representative generally is not required to provide much of anything to the court or the heirs/beneficiaries until it is time to close the estate. Unless ordered to by the court. Which means, unless you can persuade the court to order it, you probably won't receive much of anything until it is time for the final accounting and proposed distribution.

If you know the bank(s) and have copies of the death certificate, you might try notifying them of the death. That should at least put the bank(s) on notice that the accounts (if they are solely in your father's name) should be frozen until the personal representative presents the bank(s) with letters testamentary.

Make an offer on the property to the personal representative. I'd make it certified with a receipt signature confirmation. And ask the Register of Wills if the offer can be added to the probate case file.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">