• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teen parent custody rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nikatweet

I live in Florida and my son (17) and his girlfriend (16) recently had a baby. She and the baby live with her parents. Her parents say she has no authority over the baby until she is 18. They contend that they have full custody. They will not allow my son to visit unless they are present. Who has custody of the child? How would my son and his girlfriend go about having say so in how to raise their son and what to do with him? Do underage parents have any legal rights regarding custody of their children? Any helpful information will be appreciated or tips on who to ask. Thank you!

A

AeroChick

In CA teen parents (at least the mother is) were immediately emancipated upon delivery of the baby. You might want to check it out with a lawyer- this is from friends' experiences years ago.. In any case, why not seek the advice of a family lawyer? But I would only do this if your son is ready to care for his family in a responsible way, financially and emotionally, since if the two of them get full custody, and subsequently the in-laws get mad and refuse to help. If that happens, the mother of the baby (and your son and the baby) will be under much stress without the support of her family. I guess the base question is: Can the girlfriend's parents give the baby a better, more stable home than unmarried teens? The teens need to get their act together before biting off the hand that feeds... Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">